Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy is a conventional medical treatment that sends high-energy particles, usually photons or electrons, into tumors. These particles interact with the atoms in the DNA of the cancer cells and destroy them. This, in turn, destroys the cancer cells. Radiation also kills cells by increasing the amount of harmful free radicals within the cell. Healthy cells that fall in its path, especially rapidly multiplying cells such as those in the skin, can also be harmed. Dogs must be immobilized to receive radiation, so each session requires general anesthesia.
Discover the Full Spectrum Approach to Dog Cancer
- The Dog Cancer Survival Guide: Paperback | eBook
- FREE Excerpted eBook from The Dog Cancer Survival Guide: The Dog Cancer Diet
- The Dog Cancer Coping Guide: CD | MP3
- Dr. Dressler's in-depth audio seminars: Dog Cancer Vet Seminar Series
- Online Dog Cancer Shop for Supplements and Gear Powered by Amazon, Curated by Us: US | UK/EU
- Dr. Dressler's Nutraceuticals on Amazon: EverPup® | Apocaps®