Low Dose Chemotherapy and Cancer

Updated: October 1st, 2018

Over the last few years, there has been much work in attempting to improve canine cancer treatment.

One strategy has been to use lower, continuous doses of oral chemotherapy drugs.  The goal in this is to lessen chemotherapy toxicity, reduce trips to the oncologist for IV injections (the medications are pills), and hopefully gaining life span and life quality gains.

This is approach is called metronomic chemotherapy.  Here, lower doses of drugs such as cyclophosphamide and piroxicam have been used with some success.  Initial trials show promise with cancers such as hemangiosarcoma and soft tissue sarcomas.

One of the ways this treatment works is by acting on an enzyme found in higher levels in some cancers, called COX-2.  This enzyme is “turned on” during inflammation. When this enzyme is activated, cancerous cells are able to suppress the immune system and create new blood vessels to feed tumors (angiogenesis).

Many think of metronomic chemotherapy as an attack against angiogenesis.

Perhaps most importantly however, when COX-2 is active, cancer cells are able to avoid apoptosis.  Apoptosis is a naturally occurring process which is coded for in normal body cell genes.  When these cells become pre-cancerous, damaged, old or infected, the apoptosis genes create what is called “cell suicide”.  Apoptosis is the name for this genetically programmed cell suicide directed towards clearing out unwanted cells.

Cox-2 has been found in a variety of dog cancers, such as transitional cell carcinoma, some mammary carcinomas, prostate carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and carcinomas of the nasal and intestinal lining.

One of the common metronomic chemotherapy drugs is piroxicam.  This drug is able to help block the effects of the COX-2 enzyme.

There are plant-derived substances that are capable of having similar effects on COX-2.  These include luteolin, apigenin, and curcumin (among others).  It was for this reason that these constituents were included in the Apocaps formulation.

Metronomic chemotherapy, and the use of substances that fight COX-2,  are still in their early stages, and has not yet had large scale studies completed to assess its effectiveness on a wide variety of cancers.  However, oncologists are using these promising strategies today for canine cancers.

One of th

1. Katina on September 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm

What are your thoughts about using metronomics with a 13 yr old lab mix with Hemangiosarcoma liver cancer and accompanying kialis filling her belly and requiring weekly draining? Too far gone?

2. Kevin Cwirla on March 16, 2013 at 11:54 am

HI, my dog Drake was diagnosed originally with synovial sarcoma, and has his third digit in his right front paw amputated. He is currentky om meloxicam, and and recieving metronomic chemotherapy with cyclophosmide. Its been the first month since he has been on the metronomic chemotherapy and all is going well. I also give him senior dog vitamins, cranberry , billberry, lutien, glucosimine/chonoditrin everyday. I have been feeding him science diet ld dry dog food with a can of science diet canned dog food. His bowel movements have been good and urination has also been normal. Drake is on keppra for seizures which is working great and is also on thyroxin. You would never know if yo met Drake , he is happy and active. He seems very happy. I hope he will be around for a while-hope a few more years, right now I just enjoy every moment I have with him. I hope he can beat this. The oncologist aslo informed me that his cancer may be hystocitis, hopefully spell correctly. The oncologist at U of Illinois said that this cancer is typically aggressive but has not been behaving that way in Drake. I can only hope that his treatment and care will keep this cancer from spreading or better yet go into remission.

• Dr. Demian Dressler on March 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Dear Kevin
      I am glad the treatments are working so far!
      Best of luck

3. roberta Weiss on April 5, 2012 at 5:54 am

wrote my problem please answer

4. Linda Joseph on April 5, 2012 at 3:12 am

Dear Dr. Dressler,
    Our almost 14 year old Bichon was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in February. She had her left rear leg amputated. We have heard how uncommon it is for a Bichon to develop this cancer. The distemper and rabies vaccinations that my dog received prior to limping make me suspect of their involvement. The surgeon didn’t think this was the case. What do you think?
    Fast forward, a month after the amputation we consulted with a Vet Oncologist. He mentioned chemo treatment with Doxirubricin. We were advocating for Carboplatin. She received a 55mg dose of Carboplatin. Our dog was only 7.4 lbs at the time. We told the Oncologist about our dog’s sensitive nature. She reacted to Distemper shots in the past and being premedicated with Benadryl. She went lame after a Rabies vaccine when she was younger. The Oncologist did not send us home with any anti-vommiting meds or a scrip for one. Eight hours after the Carboplatin, she began vommiting. She continued to go downhill by not eating, drinking very little, ( we were giving her water through an eyedropper every hour or so). They still did not want to give any meds. Finally, 48 hours later, they said to get Cerenia. The vet’s office didn’t have it, so they substituted Metroclopramide. She continued to vomit. Only this time she vomited up some pink particles which looked like blood. At that point, the vet oncologist tech told us to get her a shot of Cerenia. After she began vomiting bile and she had an audible noise on exhalation. We took her to the animal emergency two more times. The last time she was admitted and kept for 4 days. She was diagnosed with Ileus and Gastroenteritis. We don’t want her to have another dose of Carboplatin. We purchased all your supplements and a product called NuVet Plus. I am wondering when we should begin providing the supplements again. She is a picky eater. Her weight is now at 6.4. I also would like to know if I should include the NuVet Plus with your recommended supplements. We are going to see a vet that does Accupuncture and uses Chinese Herbs. A couple of questions remain: 1.) Was the dose of Carboplatin too high for our dog’s sensitive nature and low body weight? 2.) Would it have been prudent to have sent us home with anti-vomiting meds, or to have given her a shot of Cerenia with the Carboplatin? 3.) Should Cerenia have been introduced sooner than 48 hours? Our dog was so distressed, I didn’t think she was going to make it. Luckily with the IV meds and treatment at the emergency hospital, she pulled through. If you wouldn’t mind answering my questions and offering a suggestion for the next step, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Dr. Demian Dressler on April 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Dear Linda
      I am sorry to hear about your little one.
      I am not sure if the rabies vaccine is connected with the bone cancer- I doubt it as a direct cause and effect. Don’t use Nu Vet with either chemo or Apocaps as the supplement is not designed for cancer and there are many competing mechanisms going on between the chemo/apocaps strategy and the stuff in Nu Vet (interference).
      I am sorry I cannot say if the dose of the carbo was too high or not, nor what was done during the administration. I don’t know.
      Many oncologists do send owners with a home kit for GI side effects of chemo meds, but not all. I think it is a good idea to do so. There is a lot of variation there depending on philosophy and I don’t think it is wrong per se to not give Cerenia with chemo and only use it if needed.
      It sounds like you are feeling pain (and rightly so) for her pain, and this is very understandable. This is very, very hard.
      Have you done a treatment plan analysis?
      The Guide goes into detail about how to make decisions that work for you and your dog.
      I hope this helps

5. roberta weiss on April 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

I think I would like to explain more clearly as to the problem my Yorkie has. She has spindle cell secoma. The mass is around her pelvis and we were told by 2 Dr’s that even if they operate they would have to amputate her leg and part of her hip, it would only come back in a different area. Another suggestion was radiation. It would be for 15 days and we would have to take her home on the weekends and being her back the next week for more treatments. In the end it would only give her a few extra months. My vet has suggested metronomic Chemo. The side effects are not good and he said even if she did not have the side effects, she would only go a few months . At this point she is happy and not complaining. Missy is 10 years old. Please give me your opion as to how much longer she would have with the treatment?. The most important thing is for her to have quality of life for as long as she has left. Thank you Roberta

• Dr. Demian Dressler on April 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Dear Roberta,
      Sorry about your little one.
      AS to longevity, I cannot make that call on the internet. This is a question for someone (your vet) with hands on the dog.
      I would be talking to your vet about the dog cancer diet, apocaps, neoplasene, IV vit c with or without vit k3, and beta glucans as a start. Also possibly low dose Palladia. Have you read the guide?
      I hope this helps

6. roberta weiss on April 2, 2012 at 3:56 am

My Yorkies has spindle cell sarcoma. She has a tumor mass around her back leg. Surgery will not cure it and she will loose her back let and part of her hip. We spoke of radiation and she would have to be away from home for three weeks and 5 days of the week she would have to be put to sleep. With doing nothing, and she is in no pain, we give her medication for the infllamation and pain , they gave us 6 months. We are not looking into metronomic Chemo. How much longer would this treatment give her? and what is the quality of life she will have? Thank you for you help Roberta

7. Camimor on March 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

My 9 year old Australian Cattle Dog had a huge mammary tumor removed Feb. 2010. She did not undergo chemo after surgery. Recently mets were found in her lungs which doubled in size and number in a month. My vet and many consulting oncologists are urging us to try metronomic therapy beginning with cyclophosphamide and piroxicam and then if she tolerates that adding in Palladia. I know it is a shot in the dark and I am worried about side effects since she is so happy for now. I have the Guide on kindle and ordered the hardcopy. I asked my vet about supportive meds/diet/suppplements… but is there something specific for her situation that I should be giving her,feeding her or be aware of removing from her regimen. She has also had a splenectomy for benign tumor. She takes Prozac,Trazodone, Duralactin and Dasuquin with MSM. Thank you so much, She may begin the treatment end of this week.

8. Lisa on January 24, 2012 at 8:46 am

Dr Dressler,
    Maxwell, my 8 ear old Pug was diagnosed with grade III spindle cell sarcoma in the right rear hock on 5/16/11. Because he was in pain I went ahead with the amputation which he recovered from remarkably fast from my perspective. I also agreed to “preventative” chemo because this cancer was graded so high. he did reasonably well with it but had low white counts usually on day 10 after the chemo. We handled that with Clavamox and he did well. Maxwell woke up one morning with a terrible cough. I brought him to the vet/oncologist, they did an x-ray and discovered he had a tumor in his lung. The vet/oncologist suggested changing the chemo that he was getting to Carboplatin which I agreed to. He receive 2 treatments of that and it was determined that there was no more that could be done for him because the tumor was growing so fast. After the shock of that I became very angry and went online and found your diet. I ended up purchasing your book and I am NOW and educated guardian. We are seen a different oncologist now and while his prognosis is unknown at this point, Max has surpassed what we were told to expect. I have changed his diet and he is getting Apocaps, K9 Immunity, and Palladia. He is a happy little dog with a LOT of fight left in him.
    Here’s my question…of the cancers listed in your book, i don’t see Spindle Cell Sarcoma in your section or Dr Ettingers. Is it the same as another cancer like Mast Cell? Can you please guide me to where I might be able to find information about this in your book?
    Both Max and I thank you for all you do for guardians and their “kids”!
    Lisa

• Dr. Demian Dressler on January 25, 2012 at 11:43 am

Dear Lisa,
      I am glad you are on a good road to pet advocacy!!
      Spindle cell tumors fit in the class of soft tissue sarcomas in the book- see page 366 second edition.

DrD

9. Sharon Sleighter on January 13, 2012 at 4:58 am

My 12 year old boxer female started metronomic chemotherapy, cyclophosphamide and piroxicam, two weeks ago after having an anal sac tumor (adenocarcinoma) removed. Given her age, she is not a good candidate for injectable chemotherapy, so we decided to give this a go. She is doing fabulous so far. We have everything crossed that the will help us slow the growth of any new tumors (we did not get clean margins on the tumor that was removed). As a boxer lover, I am so happy we have dedicated vets out there working on better treatment options for our fur kids. Thank you.

• Dr. Demian Dressler on January 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm

🙂

10. Ivan Dryer on December 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Dear Dr. Dressler,

My 14 y-o Cocker has been on metronomic chemo with cytoxan and metacam for nearly 2 months, and the sarcoma has slowed its growth. We are hoping it stops completely and even shrinks. Meanwhile, he continues on ApoCaps and K-9 Immunity, etc.

11. Silvana C. on October 29, 2011 at 6:38 am

Hi Dr. Dressler:

I have a female chow lab mix who will be 11 years old in February. She was diagnosed with a very aggressive melanoma on her tongue in Sept. The vet removed a 5cm tumor which grew back in 10 days! In those 10 days, we already started with the vaccine and radiation treatments. By the 3rd radiation treatment the tumor stopped growing. At the 5th treatment, it had jumped to her lymphnode and the oncologist administered Chemo (carboplatin), and it shrunk both tumors on her tongue and lymphnode in a few days. At the 6th and last radiation treatment it has gone down even more. She has received 4 vaccinations and completed her radiation treatment. I have started her on Apocaps along with K9 Immunity in the last 10 days. We decided to do another chemo treatment to ensure we keep the tumors at bey. However, when I brought her in today, the melanoma has spread to the lungs showing 6 nodules. Recommendation is to try another chemo and check in 3 weeks if they shrink or go away. At this point, do you have any other recommendations besides the Cancer diet and the Apocaps? Should it kick in shortly where it would boost her immune system and finally kill off all of these nodules that are starting to pop up? Shay Shay is a beautiful, healthy dog and should not pass on this way. She should live out her natural life.

Thanks,
    Silvana

12. Ivan Dryer on October 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Yes, I am giving Apocaps and K-9, along with cottage cheese, oatmeal, EPA/DHA, pectin and a powder mix called Super Daily Greens, with intemittent broccoli and cauliflower. He also gets a number of meds and supplements, including COQ10 and L-carnitine for his heart condition. I think I am going to proceed with the cytoxan/piroxicam, but I wonder if I have to stop any/all of the above steps before/during the treatment, or can they augment the metronomic?
    Thanks again for your responses!

• Demian Dressler on October 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

Dear Ian,
      the only thing I have a question about is perhaps the Super Daily Greens. I worry about the free radical scavenging effects of antioxidants may hinder some of the pro oxidant effects of the other therapies without a significant advantage as the trade off. In other words, CoQ10 can scavenge free radicals, but the benefit in my view outweighs this potential interference.
      For more:

13. Ivan Dryer on October 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Just read about EBC-46. Is it for real and worth waiting for even while the tumor continues to grow? Or should we sart metronomic in the meanwhile?

Thanks!

• Demian Dressler on October 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Dear Ivan
      It looks like studies done are proprietary (I can’t find anti cancer references aside from blogs and online magazine articles) so we dont know what the real story is. Sorry. I would do the metronomic under oncologist’s supervision. Are you doing the other steps too?

14. Ivan Dryer on October 10, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My Cocker’s sarcoma has grown slightly in the last 6 weeks, and I’m now considering at least one course of metronomic with either cytoxan/pyroxicam alone or in combo with palladia. The problem is, I may not be able to afford more than a month or two. Is it worth trying on that basis, and if so should I go with just the pair first and maybe add palladia later (it’s a lot more expensive), or do all 3 at the outset for the best chance of a good result? His heart is still a major concern, and I’ll be making sure this would be Ok with his cardiologist when she returns.
    Thanks very much!

• Demian Dressler on October 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Dear Ian,
      one problem we are faced with is a limited amount of published data concerning the various metronomic protocols. so we are all shooting in the dark here. I feel it would be reasonable to try the pair first and work in the palladia next, or perhaps a lower dose of palladia? Best to also voice your concerns with your oncologist, who has hands on the dog.
      Don’t forget the other steps in the Guide too- they are also tools that can help-

15. Vichuta on October 6, 2011 at 3:52 am

Bow , my dog has removed her tumors 3 times in less than a year.Now , she has cancer in her shoulder too.I do home cook food for her , follow from your book and give k-9 immunity plus , artemisinin , selenium , milk thistle , garlic ,omega 3 , shark cartridge and fresh herbs.

(I live in Thailand so I can not buy Apocaps.But I can buy K-9 immunity plus and other supplements from Iherb.com and swanson.com.If you can delivery the survival kit internationally , please ship Apocaps too.Or at least , supply it to Iherb.com)

My vet wanted to remove her leg then changed to chemo every 3 weeks.For the first 2 therapies , Bow was doing well.She had no side effect from chemo.

She just came back from her 3rd chemo yesterday.This time she gets worst!She lost appetite and she can not walk.She suffers a lot.Is it because she didn’t have K-9 plus immunity for over a week?(I had 2 months supply for Bow but my maid gave to my other dogs as a snack!And the new supply has’nt arrived yet.)

Her blood test is stable as last chemo.Is it good?My vet didn’t explain much about her condition.I don’t know which type of cancer she has.
    My vet just said Bow has 6 months to live.Last month , he also said 6 months.

Unfortunately , there is no acupuncture for cancer dog in Thailand.Thai vet think it will spread cancer.I don’t know what should I do to help her relief from her painful.Any suggestion?(I still want to fight for her life!)

Vichuta

• Demian Dressler on October 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Dear Vichuta,
      I would be suprised if the lack of K-9 immunity was the definite culprit- I think more likely the additive effect of the chemo. I would see if your vet can get things like ondansetron or cerenia or mirtazapine along with metoclopramide for the stomach. Maybe these would help?

16. Diane Barnhart on October 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Please subscribe me to “Dog Cancer News”.

17. […] Dr. Dressler’s Dog Cancer Blog: Low Dose Chemotherapy and Cancer .nrelate .nr_sponsored{ left:0px !important; } // category: Cancer Awareness tags: bone cancer, cancer research, dog, metronomic chemotherapy, Morris Animal Foundation, oncology, three-legged addthis_url = 'http%3A%2F%2Ftripawds.com%2F2011%2F09%2F28%2Fmorris-animal-foundation-studies-metronomic-chemotherapy%2F '; addthis_title = 'Morris+Animal+Foundation+Studies+Metronomic+Chemotherapy'; addthis_pub = ''; […]

18. Terri Lohman on September 26, 2011 at 8:32 am

My dog, Bari, was diagnosed with Lymphoma a week ago. We took him to the ER because he had stridor. We certainly were not prepared for the diagnosis. He also had an infection.
    He started Vincristine and prednisone today (Wisconsin protocol). He has been on omega 3’s for 3 days. His appetite has always been good. The swollen sub-maxillary glands have made the mechanics of eating a little difficult. Changing his diet gradually. The hunters in my family are supplying venison.
    He is a Golden (of course). When we got him from rescue, 2 years ago, he had heart worm and we made through that very scary therapy. Hope he does as well here. Will start Apocaps when they arrive. Not ready to loose him yet.

• DemianDressler on September 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Dear Terri,
      don’t forget diet, antimetastatics, and very important, deliberate life quality enhancements every day!!
      Keep us posted.
      Dont’ forget to drop the dose of Apocaps with the pred use (use 1/4 to 1/2 the labeled dose with food). Keep your vet informed of medical steps for your Bari as always…

19. Ivan Dryer on September 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Thank you Dr. Dressler. I decided not to proceed at this time and see how he does for a couple months. If the tumor size increases, I’ll have to reconsider, but so far it doesn’t seem to bother him. Dr. Turner at Vet Cancer said he might live 8 or 9 months without treatment, and his cardiologist said she’d be happy if he lived a year. Maybe his current regimen will better those odds. He is a tough little guy, having previously survived being hit by a minivan and taken down by a coyote, which bit his neck before I chased it off. He doesn’t like the new food/supplement combination, so I have to spice it up with Cesar. And he did vomit up the ApoCaps yesterday, so I made a bigger pill-pocket pouch and also gave him a jerky strip; this worked, as there wasn’t a repeat today.

• DemianDressler on September 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Dear Ivan,
      you might want to give the Apocaps with a small meal to help buffer the stomach…

20. Ivan Dryer on September 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I have an urgent question relating to my dog’s life and health. I have purchased the book and am following the nutritional guidelines, including Apocaps and K9 Immunity, for my 14-year-old Cocker whose soft-tissue sarcoma has recurred after surgery 2 years ago. He now also has an enlarged heart that was acute until recently stabilized by meds. Nevertheless, the cardiologist has given provisional approval for him to be entered into a clinical trial at Cancer Veterinary Group in L.A. that uses a bacterium to shrink tumors, but the oncologist said most dogs in the study still require surgery to remove the tumor due to potential side effects from the bacteria.

My question is whether Dr. Dressler has heard of this study, and if so what does he think of it. I can’t afford any more treatment options, such as metronomic chemo, but I’m concerned that in the fairly likely event he would survive a surgery, the cancer might still persist and/or he would be debilitated. He is acting just fine and apparently doesn’t know he’s sick–taking me for a brisk walk every night. I would hate to either suddenly lose him or our walks unnecessarily, but I know the cancer could ultimately worsen his condition.

He goes in for prescreen tests tomorrow, and if he passes they want to begin treatment as soon as Thursday, with surgery generally coming, if required, within 72 hours thereafter. So time is of the essence, and the doctor’s opinion would be highly appreciated and valued! Below is the intro to the study.

Thank you very much for your consideration of my urgent request!

Funded Clinical Trial for Dogs with Solid Tumors
    A new clinical trial option is now available for dogs with melanoma, osteosarcoma, soft tissue sarcoma or squamous cell carcinoma.
    Trial Summary
    A minimum of 100 dogs with solid tumors will be treated with modified anaerobic bacteria. Treated dogs will be monitored closely after treatment with follow-up required at 2,4,7, and 14 days. While the patient remains on study, there will also be rechecks at 1 and 2 months from the initial treatment.
    Trial Support and Funding
    Study drug, diagnostic tests, and follow-up exams will be paid for by the study sponsor. In the event that side effects are attributed to the study drug, the study will pay for medical management of the side effects.

• DemianDressler on September 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Dear Ivan,
      the Cancer Veterinary Group is a good group. However, I am not certain that the study will uncover the cure for cancer. You should be prepared for this reality- that your dog may still have cancer following the study treatments. We don’t know the outcome of the treatments (hence the study), and I would simply ask yourself if you are okay with the possibility that it may (or may not) cure your dog. If it does not, will you feel you made the wrong choice?
      I am sorry I cannot make that decision for you, but if you quietly ask yourself this question, I believe you will get your answer.

21. Ellie on September 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Have Apoptogens been used in dogs with lymphoma of the brain?

• DemianDressler on September 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Dear Ellie,
      I might consider artemisinin (has some anti lympho effects) for this one, and possible neoplasene, K-9 immunity (not plus), along with the conventional care options. Remember to use your vet’s supervision…

22. Renee Jacques on September 17, 2011 at 4:30 am

So I spoke too soon. Rocco stopped eating again and couldn’t urinate for days. We had to take him to the emergency room at the animal hospital and they discovered that his right kidney has failed and his cancer has spread to his lymph nodes.

With the grim prognosis of his prostate cancer, we felt that going through surgery to apply a stint in him would just be too much. We have decided that this is enough and today we will be relieving him of his pain. Thanks for your help.

I give hope to all of those out there suffering with a dog with cancer.

-Renee

• DemianDressler on September 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Dear Renee,
      my thoughts go out to you and yours during this time of Rocco’s departure. I hope that the feelings of sadness soon turn to your happy times together. Might also contemplate the indestructible soul of our animal friends (depending on your personal beliefs and philosophies…)
      All my best

23. Renee Jacques on September 16, 2011 at 5:32 am

Thanks for responding. Well after a very rough week, Rocco finally got his appetite back. He didn’t eat for about 5 days! We took him back to the vet and he discovered that his BUM level was over 100!!! Not good… and he said he almost had kidney failure. I hope his kidneys will recuperate. He has begun eating again and he is going to the bathroom again. We had to take him off the Piroxicam for a week and hopefully by next week we can gradually put him back on and start up the Apocaps.

Thank you so much.

-Renee

24. sheli on September 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

After having 3 Sharpei with cancer……2 passed away and 1 in remission, it is so heartbreaking!!! I hope you don’t mind if i crosspost this info onto the Sharpei forum that i belong to.

25. Renee Jacques on September 11, 2011 at 5:54 am

Please help me. I really need an answer. Rocco is not doing too well right now. A few days after we switched him to the natural food diet and gave him all the antioxidants, he has stopped eating. He has no interest in eating. What does this mean? Our doctor is now telling us to give him the Piroxicam only every other day and to hold back on the natural supplements until he gets his appetite back. Do you think he will get his appetite back?

Please answer. I need all the help I can get.

Renee

• DemianDressler on September 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Dear Renee,
      This is sounds very hard for both you and Rocco. I am sorry. Some dogs have senstive tummies and require a very slow introduction of anything new. The piroxicam might be the culprit, as well as the supplements. I hope he is being given some things for his tummy (antacids, maybe a little ginger, carafate, reglan, possibly cytotec, etc), slippery elm.. all are possible.
      Keep us posted

26. Jan Rasmusen on September 10, 2011 at 8:22 am

I recently heard world-renowned veterinary oncologist Greg Ogilvie speak at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Assoc. Conference. Greg is also my dog Jiggy’s oncologist. To treat Jiggy’s liver cancer, he suggested metronomic chemo, a specialized diet and the Omega-3 fatty acid DHA, made from algae.

I elected to have Jiggy’s liver tumor surgically removed, but decided to forgo the chemo. I revised Jiggy’s diet (with the help of my holistic vet and Dr. Dressler’s e-book). Jiggy already ate fresh organic food, no grains, but I made a few omissions and additions. My whole family now takes DHA (on Greg’s suggestion) and Jiggy has a homeopathic regimen as well. I’ll be writing more about the DHA at my holistic canine health blog http://www.truth4dogs.com. Greg devoted three sessions at the Conference to DHA. It’s that important.

• DemianDressler on September 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Dear Jan,
      yes, DHA is one of the important omega 3s that has recently become popular due to recognition of the science behind its effects. I wish more of the science around nutraceuticals had spread throughout conventional medicine’s awareness. Greg has always been open to honest assessments, thank goodness.

27. Kim Conley on September 10, 2011 at 5:34 am

Jana: Recently, one of my neighbor’s dogs was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Because her husband was out of town, I went to the vet appointment with her. Though I was wholly unimpressed with the vet (pain management wasn’t even addressed until, at the end of the appt., when I pushed it), she did say that there were some preliminary reports that NSAIDs could help in the fight against osteosarcoma.

• DemianDressler on September 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Dear Kim
      there is a lot more than can be done for this cancer. I assume this dog is getting complete cancer care? Surgery/chemo/radiation considerations? Diet? Apoptogens? Immune support? Antimetastatics? Brain chemistry modification? Other pain control steps (meds, pamidronate, palliative radiaion, acupuncture?) There is a lot that can be done. Complete info in the Guide.

28. Paul on September 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm

My wife and I have been using a process called Neurofacial Process to help our golden retriever with her cancer (tumors in her spleen, liver and kidneys), along with some holistic medications. The process involves connecting specific points on the body by touching to facilitate the release of toxins.

29. Jana Rade on September 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Cox-2? Wow, this might sound crazy, wouldn’t that mean that NSAIDs would actually fight cancer? (I hate to say that because I hate NSAIDs, but isn’t that the logical conclusion?)

30. Renee Jacques on September 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

My dog, a Coton de Tulear, is 10 and he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is having major problems with his urination (has to urinate a lot and is straining) yet everything else is fine. Our doctor said chemotherapy would not be a good option for this type of cancer. Instead, he is on Piroxicam. We have also switched him over to a grain-free, all natural diet and he takes antibiotics, mushrooms, Cat’s Claw, and Apocaps everyday.

Will his urination problems ever be alleviated? Are we taking the right steps in his treatment?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,