Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli and Cabbage in Dog Cancer Diet?

Updated: October 10th, 2018

Here is a link to a page on the store where you can get a free download of the Dog Cancer Diet eBook, which is excerpted from my full-length book, The Dog Cancer Survival Guide.  You are invited to get this information-packed bundle of everything you need to know for your dog’s diet when dealing with canine cancer.

This diet is specifically designed for dogs with cancer.  There are some rather strange ingredients that you may notice and wonder whether maybe Dressler has lost a few marbles along the way.  Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage for dogs?  Seems pretty unnatural, right?

Right you are.  Dogs in nature do not eat these strange plants.  But the truth is that dogs with cancer need extra help, and if they were provided with only what was found in their natural diet it would not be enough.

So what is the deal with Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage?

These were specifically chosen for several reasons.  One big one is that they help with detoxification.  And no, I’m not talking about some vague idea of “detox” or “cleanse” or “purify the body”.   Let’s look at some science and forget the woo-woo stuff for a moment.  (You will recognize this approach as the basis for Full Spectrum Care in the Guide, where we look at all treatment options without bias then choose what makes sense from a scientific point of view.)

So what are we talking about when we say “detoxification”? Of course we are getting rid of toxins.  There are toxins from outside the body and there are plenty produced inside the body too. And there are tons of toxins in a body with both cancer cells and chemotherapy or radiation at the same time. From cancer, we have too much lactate from cancer cells gobbling up all that starch (sugar), the release of acid, and lots of damaging free radicals from inflammation. From chemo and radiation we have a variety of toxic effects that may be seen, although many dogs do fine with little obvious reactions.

Many of these toxins can promote later cancer growth, particularly those produced by the cancers, but also even sometimes those created by our treatments (these are rare).

Obviously, we want a way to deal with toxins that does not interfere with treatments.  There are many, many different ways to do this, but a simple one is diet. And here is where the Brassica plants like Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage come in!

These plants stimulate what are called the Phase 2 detoxification systems.  Detoxification has 3 Phases. Phase 1 makes the toxin more easily dissolved in water.  This will allow it to get filtered out in the urine  (from the kidneys) and also in the bile (from the liver) later on in detoxification.  Phase 2 adds chemical groups to increase this water solubility. These mainly happen in the liver cells. Phase 3 involves shipping the water soluble toxin to organs to get rid of it from the body, mainly getting dumped into the urine thanks to the kidneys and into the lower intestine in the bile from our friend the liver.

Phase 1 reactions are weird because sometimes they increase toxicity of the substance.  Oops! But thankfully, the Phase 2 systems catch the bulk of these and stick chemical groups onto these Phase 1 created toxins to inactivate them.  And guess what veggies crank up the Phase 2 systems?  You guessed it: Brussels sprouts and cabbage!

These veggies also help out with Phase 3 detox too.  They add bulky fiber (without adding sugar).  This stimulates more release of bile into the intestine, and freely flowing bile is a big part of clearing toxins in Phase 3 detox.

You will read more information like this in the Guide.

1. Sara Barton on December 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm

What about the use of CBD oil for pain relief in dog with Chrondrosarcoma. It seems to be controlling her pain from half grapefruit size rib tumor but does it interfere with apoptosis?

• Cheri Aristo-Frey on February 6, 2018 at 8:11 am

My guy has liver cancer and I give him CBD oil 2ce daily…I have seen great quality of life changes in him. He was given a survival rate of 1-4 months and is now at 6 1/2 months…tumor is still present and slowly increasing in size but we just up’d the dosage to try to fight it harder as it is said to POSSIBLY have cancer fighting benefits.

2. […] Cancer Blog, written by the canine cancer veterinarian who developed Apocaps, has a list of detoxifying foods, as well as a free cancer diet download. The site is a wealth of information on everything from […]

3. Jen Lee on November 24, 2012 at 4:54 am

I check back to this page from time to time to see if anyone has answered this question – “Are there any guideline as to how much of these veggies are okay before they might start interfering with thyroid function”?

I would really love to know the answer if anyone knows. I want to give my dog a broccoli seed extract supplement and am not sure how much to give… I guess since he’s almost 100 pounds I’ll give him 1/2 to 3/4 capsule? That should be enough for some benefit, but maybe not too much to interfere with thyroid function?

Thanks so much for writing all these blogs though! I really appreciate all the knowledge!

4. Doryan on September 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

RE: Giving artemisinin with 2nd degree AV heart block.

My chow chow was diagnosed with chronic lymphoctic leukemia. I was told by Dr. Lai and Dr. Singh that artemisinin can be effective against it. My chow has a second degree AV heart block. Is it safe to give artemisinin with this heartblock? Dr. Lai said artemisinin can affect the electrical activity of the heart. Please let me know what you think as I don’t want to cause a serious problem with his heart.

thanks, Doryan and Ruskin

5. Christie on September 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

My baby has lymphsarcoma, all of his lymphnodes are involved. I’ve started the cancer diet, and apocaps, it’s been about 2 weeks, but he doesn’t seem to be making any improvement. He also has seizure disorder and is on phenobarbital, and I know that apocaps can interfere with absorbtion, so I cut dosage in half as suggested on FAQ page. Do you have any suggestions?

• Dr. Susan Ettinger on September 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Christie,
      If chemotherapy is not an option (my recommendation for lymphoma) I would strongly encourage you to discuss prednisone with your vet. If actually kills thr lymphoma cells, just not as well as when combined with chemo or for as long. But there is about a 50% response rate with pred, and it does increase survival time in comparison to no therapy. You will have to cut back on Apocaps, but in general it is not recommended with seizure medication anyway. Obviously discuss with your vet, and good luck. I have a few posts on lymphoma you can check out, and there is more into in lymphoma in the Guide.
      All my best, Dr Sue

6. Ben on August 20, 2012 at 4:23 am

I’d like to ditto LisaT’s question from above: Is there any guideline as to how much of these veggies are okay before they might start interfering with thyroid function?

Thanks

7. Judi on August 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Dr. Dressler have you evaluated the kibble Great Life.I changed when my 13 year olddog who had anal cancer and also feed to my younger dog. Salmon no grain or potato. Thank you

8. Sandra Trimble on August 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I have your Anti cancer diet for dogs and I have started my dog who has osteosarcoma on it. I had already been giving him Essiac tea and have now got him on Artemisinin as well. Are the two treatments compatible? I am concerned about the amount of iron in the Essiac and whether it could interfere with the Artemisinin. Unfortunately surgery is not an option for my guy as he has arthritis in his rear knees and the vet doesn’t think his legs would take the added stress. He is an 8 year old Lab-Newfie cross and very large. Can you give me any advice??

9. Vicky on August 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Is there any preventative foods. And methods for fleasm heart worms etc, so my new baby doesn’t have to take these poisons

10. Garry Sheen on August 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’ll be using a broccoli extract which contains a standardized concentration of sulforaphane glucosinolate, for our dog, Logan, Should we still consider adding in fresh broccoli, or does the extract basically do the same job of detoxing?

11. Christie on August 6, 2012 at 6:46 am

I rec”d email headed Diagnosing mast cell rumors but there was no content! My dog has these rumors. Please re send the email. I really am interested in this topic!
    Thanks, Christie

12. pam on August 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

I noticed my dog had a flea which means there are more. I don’t wish to put poison flea control on her but the flea comb just doesn’t work with her coat.
    What is the best flea remedy or poison I can put on her with bladder cancer?
    Thank you.